The beginning of December and I am ready to celebrate every holiday this month! I think it is time to stop; breathe; appreciate; and be grateful for my circle of amazing friends and family. As I finish school this coming week and prepare for out of town guests, I am already looking forward to my social calendar and what fun things are going on around Portland and beyond...
First, head over to Frugal Luxuries, Its A Gift Wrapped Life, Eating as Art, Pie Wacket, and a few more surprises to find home made wrapping, baking, and gift giving ideas for your holiday delight! Links are to the right.
My top 10 Portland Christmas list is:
- Make our traditional hand blown glass ornament at Elements Glass on NW Vaughn $40 each and an hour of creative learning fun! (Call now to get a reservation: 503.228.0575) Followed by a trip to the food carts downtown.
- Holiday Tea at the Heathman Hotel with friends...stunning! Followed by a quiet evening snuggling in front of the fireplace to watch the trees twinkle lights.
- Spaghetti Factory on the Willamette while watching the Christmas ships go by.
- Lunch at the Hands on Cafe at the Oregon College of Arts and then up to Pittock Mansion for a tour through the Christmas display. If that is not enough, tour Peacock lane and drive through your neighborhood for light viewing.
- Serving meals at the Portland soup kitchen and then off to the Zoo Lights, followed by dessert at Papa Hayden.
- Spend a day delivering gift baskets, checking in on elder neighbors to see if they are ready for winter, then pop into LIMO restaurant before the Michael Allen Harrison Concert at the Old Church.
- Taking friends and family to the Grotto for the Christmas lights and walk the new labyrinth.
- Parties with friends, simple, but lots of them!Cookie Exchange, wine tasting, carriage rides downtown, dinners in with Christmas or Hanukkah music, a movie night of old holiday flicks...White Christmas anyone? Make sure you collect warm sweatshirts, gloves and hats from your guests for the P:ear kids down in the Pearl.
- Gather family and friends to honor the reason for the season at Midnight Mass. Come home to hot chocolate before sharing the dawn of Christmas day.Then over-the-hill-and-through-the-woods to Grama's house! Don't forget to call your loved ones who are far away (family, military, friends) or send a facebook greeting!
- A huge potluck on the 26th with family and friends to celebrate being together and the anticipation of the new year!
- Earthwatch - offers an opportunity to work along side a scientist on a sustainable project. Available all over the world
- Hands Up Holidays - A luxury tour company offering opportunities like helping Thai children orphaned by the Tsunami or working with Aboriginal rangers in Australia.
- Pepy Tours - Bike trips through Cambodia and Laos where cyclists can participate in projects in villages to help improve quality of life for rural families.
- Buy in bulk for a discount
- Redeem credit-card perks
- Join your favorite theaters Loyalty Club
- Hit daytime screenings
- Drive-ins are still around in Newburg and Beaverton...what a great gift certificate that would be in your stocking!
- Check local theaters for specials - Tigard theaters is having $5 Tuesdays with $1 popcorn; all day; through the holidays. Se you there!
Copyright 2010 MJ's Table Talk